175,000 news blogs and roughly 1.6 million posts are created each day

Sunday, 13 January 2008

Abebe Isaac, Timothy Goode, Stephan Siler

Two Philadelphia men were shot and killed about three hours apart late Friday and early yesterday.
Theirs were the second and third police-related fatal shootings in the city this year.
The man who was shot yesterday pulled out a gun as officers were trying to disperse a crowd outside a North Philadelphia bar about 12:30 a.m., police said.
In the earlier shooting, they said, a man fleeing plainclothes narcotics officers was fatally wounded around 9:30 p.m. Friday after he pointed a gun at police.
"I'm concerned when any officer has to discharge his or her weapon," Mayor Nutter said last night. "I'm also concerned when any citizen points a gun at at a police officer."
He said he did not yet have all the details on the shootings.
"Citizens have to stop pointing weapons at Philadelphia police officers," Nutter added. "It has to stop."
Police Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey said the shootings were a concern because they put everyone in jeopardy, not just police or suspects.
"It is the kind of activity taking place on the street," said Ramsey, reached at his home in Washington, where he was packing for his move to Philadelphia.
Last week, after the first fatal police shooting of the year, Ramsey promised a thorough investigation of the shooting and the department's use of deadly force.
In that case, an East Germantown man at a New Year's Eve party was mistakenly shot when a police officer fired on another man who had been shooting a gun into the air. The victim, Abebe Isaac, died last week. Three partygoers were wounded.
The District Attorney's Office must decide whether criminal charges will be filed against the officer.
In addition to fatally shooting 15 people last year, police injured 19. In 2006, police killed 20 civilians.
In the North Philadelphia case, police said, two officers were trying to disperse a crowd outside a bar on a corner of the 2400 block of Clifford Street when one officer saw Trevar Cephas, 21, of the 2100 block of North 23d Street, pull a gun from his waistband.
The officer ordered Cephas to drop his gun, but Cephas moved to raise it, police said. He was shot once in the stomach and was pronounced dead at Temple University Hospital just after 1 a.m.
"The other officer was not even aware of the gun," said Lt. Frank Vanore, a police spokesman. He said police had recovered a .38-caliber revolver.
Two police officers and four others were injured in a traffic accident as police headed for the scene. None of the injuries was serious.
Friday night in Germantown, plainclothes narcotics officers were staking out the area of 200 Clapier St., where, police said, numerous drug transactions had been reported.
When police moved in to make arrests, Timothy Goode, 24, of the 1000 block of Pratt Street, ran to the area of Logan Street, where he pointed a gun at the officers, police said. One officer shot Goode twice in the side and lower back. Police said Goode was a relative of former Mayor W. Wilson Goode's, but did not know what the relationship was.
A 9mm semiautomatic handgun was recovered, and a bag containing 45 crack vials was found nearby, police said. Goode also died at Temple's hospital.
Stephan Siler, 27, of the 200 block of West Abbotsford Avenue, was arrested without incident and charged with narcotics violations.


Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...